Monday, November 05, 2012

Curiosity Killed the Cat


Curiosity Killed the Cat, is a proverb used to warn of the dangers (or foils) of unnecessary investigation or experimentation - says Wikipedia.

I have, of my own accord , experienced it first hand , most recently.
As I travel by underground rail ( or tube as Londoners fondly(!?) call it) to work every day, I notice several people reading either one of   'The Hunger Games' trilogy by Suzanne Collins, or 'A Song of Ice And Fire' series by George R R Martin.
I normally pick books based on impulse, recommendations, reviews, nostalgia or popularity - not necessarily in that order.
Having seen the above mentioned books so often, on a daily basis, it was not long before I made a trip to the library and asked for the first book of each series - and surprise surprise - there wasn't one available. There were 69 and 72 reservations respectively for the 20 'Hunger Games' and 17 'Games of Throne' copies   at the library!  I put my name on the list and waited for the email announcing my copy was ready to be picked.

If I like a book, I read it slowly, leisurely.  I want it to last as long as possible - I dread the disappointment of finishing that book. I get anxious as fewer and fewer pages are left to be read.

The Hunger Games is a trilogy. The Ice and Fire series has 7 books - of which sixth and seventh are yet to release! If these books appeal to my taste, and get me engrossed, I will have 10 books to savour - now that is something worth considering.
 I had a similar excited frenzy with Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings. ( Though, of all Harry Potter books, 'Prisoner of Azkaban' I liked best, and all those that came after it never lived up to the standard for me.  As for 'The Lord Of the Rings' - J R R Tolkien - take a bow! Never has been my reader's mind so encouraged and enthused into imagination , since the golden years of reading Enid Blyton's 'Adventures of Wishing Chair' ! )

There has been an increasing trend to make movies based on books.
Now, when you read a book, your imagination has no boundaries, no limits. Anything and everything is possible. Such is the power of the written word, that an infinite supply of thoughts can be drawn out from the depths of your mind. Your mind does wonders with spinning images and sounds and smells and feelings in your head from the words that you read.
But show that book as a movie - and your mind is fed with someone else's vision, someone else's interpretation! And mostly ( except for the noble exception of The Lord Of The Rings) the movie versions result into disappointment.

I prefer to read a book, than watch a movie made out of it.

Coming back to the cat that got killed - I read the first 'Hunger Games' and then happened to look it up on the net - just out of curiosity! And Wikipedia ruined it for me. 3 books summarized into a few pages - and I kind of had no more interest in reading the books any more.
I also happened to see the televised drama based on 'Games Of Throne' - its very well made, but now every time I read about Ned Stark, I will have Sean Bean in my head.

If only I had not looked these things up - I would have had 10 books to look forward to! Sigh! and Alas!


This month is (apparently) the National Blog Posting Month. The theme is blogging for blogging's sake!
NaBloPoMo November 2012Works for me, as it gives me a (much needed) boost to blog more regularly. I am going to try and post more often for this NaBloPoMo!

No comments: