Monday, October 17, 2005

Why "Three Princes of Serendip" ?

Well.. ..I've accidently been coming across a few very interesting blogs..[ and its been quite a while reading them..]
Every time I came across a new one, I would feel an urge to write one too!
Every time I felt like starting with one.. I wouldn't.. for no reason wot-so-ever..

And when I finally did start one.. I wanted to name it "Serendipity" ..Alas! The domain wasn't available..
[ why Serendipity? ...well..not now.. but I definitely will come up with some "fortunate discovery" abt it..].

The nxt, very obvious step.. was synonyms.. and I came across this in the quest:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word History: We are indebted to the English author Horace Walpole for the word serendipity, which he coined in one of the 3,000 or more letters on which his literary reputation primarily rests. In a letter of January 28, 1754, Walpole says that "this discovery, indeed, is almost of that kind which I call Serendipity, a very expressive word." Walpole formed the word on an old name for Sri Lanka, Serendip. He explained that this name was part of the title of "a silly fairy tale, called The Three Princes of Serendip: as their highnesses traveled, they were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of...."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well.. so much in the name of debut!
Hope this leads me to far better discoveries I ain't looking for.. :-D

3 comments:

Manoj Pillai said...

Cool.
I did not put so much effort into naming my blog. Good to see people do so much research.

vsat said...

Ah, and I thought this really had to do with three princes and the blogger !! :P

vsat said...

Come to think of it...I now recollect...that you always had a thing abt this word - "serendipity".